With Sydney Whisky Fair just a day away and excitement at fever pitch, we’ve put together a few quick things that’ll help you get the most out of the day.
There is special Fair pricing for whiskies on pour and that will come into effect once doors open at 5.30pm on Friday. The selection is available opposite the front counter in store and the Fair specials will run from Friday 26 to Saturday 27 August, with whatever’s left available on Monday 19 August.
If you don’t have a ticket you can still access Fair pricing by visiting the store from Friday evening until close of business Monday. These products will not be online during that period.
- Sydney Whisky Fair 2016 is sold out. Selling out in record time this year, there will be no tickets available at the door.
- Know your session. There are three sessions across Friday and Saturday, make sure you’re at the right one. Due to the strict capacity levels if you’re at the wrong one we can’t let you in L.
- Your food voucher is like cash. You’ll receive a food vouched upon arrival at the Fair, redeemable at the canteen (which is powered by the legends at Nighthawk Diner). Don’t lose the voucher!
- The list of exhibitors is confirmed. See them here and plan out your day. You can also see the list of independent bottlers here. In total there will be 23 stands pouring whisky.
- If you can’t make it anymore. There is an extensive waiting list of Oak Barrel members who’d love to take your place. If you’ve suddenly got a clash, move the clash. If it’s absolutely unavoidable get in touch and we’ll pas sit on to the waiting list. Please note tickets are non-transferrable and the entry list will reflect that.
- Don’t be a plonker. Whisky Fair has a strict Fair Play policy which we expect you to uphold. All exhibitors will be observing strict Responsible Service of Alcohol guidelines and security will be present throughout. We’re sure everyone will pace themselves and act as mature adults so we’re confident this is going to be the best Fair yet!
WHISKY FAIR 2016 CHEAT SHEET
Whisky Fair is at The Oak Barrel. Get a train to Central/Museum station or a bus to Elizabeth St. Map at the bottom of the front page here.
Four new exclusive whiskies for this year’s Fair, from Black Gate (Australia), Paul John (India), Dailuaine via Berry Bros. (Scotland) and The Oak Barrel’s own Cask 37 (Australia). These will be allocated across the three sessions, so don’t fret that they’ll all sell out on the Friday.
New Drams Being Launched
There’s host of brand new and recent releases to try from around the world. Here’s a select few we’ve picked out of the program that are being released at the Fair or have landed in the past month:
Iniquity Gold Label (launch of South Australian distillery’s new Gold Label – it’s cask strength)
Limeburners Darkest Winter (if you missed the masterclass, Darkest Winter is now available officially)
Upshot (West Australian whiskey launches on the east coast – available to taste at the Fair, to buy in October)
BenRiach Peated Quarter Casks (One of Speyside’s most excited distilleries ups the smoke)
Laphroaig Lore (the most exciting addition to Laphroaig’s core range in years)
Armorik Der Venn (first single malt from the ‘new era’ of this famous French distillery)
The Irishman (full range of new Irish whiskies from the Walsh family, rushed into Australia to make the Fair)
Hyde Single Grain (new from the Irish whisky bottlers, who may have some previews as well)
Gordon & MacPhail Private Collection Linkwood (delicious new wine cask-finished expression from the masters)
Rest & Be Thankful (independent bottler new to Australia)
Signatory Vintage (new expressions from distilleries like Glenrothes)
Blackadder (expressions taken from the very latest shipment)
Once again being provided by the legends at the Nighthawk Diner.
Top image by Jonathan Walczak of The Whisky Ledger.